Problems with samples...

Moderator: Rathinagiri

Roberto Lopez
HMG Founder

Problems with samples...

Post by Roberto Lopez »

Hi all,

I've noted some inaccuracies in the samples classification.

1. \SAMPLES\HFCL\SQL\RDD_SQL:

RDD_SQL example was adapted by me, from a Harbour contribution. It is not related with HFCL.

2. \SAMPLES\HFCL\SQL:

There is, in this folder, a file called HMGSQLite.zip, that appears to have the HMGSQLite example that already is on its own folder at the same location.

3. \SAMPLES\HFCL\MYSQL:

At this folder, there is three MySql samples called MYSQL_1,MYSQL,2 and MYSQL_3 that (as the others mentioned) are not related with HFCL. They were created years prior to HFCL.

3. \SAMPLES\HFCL\POSTGRESQL_1:

Again... not related with HFCL.

4. \SAMPLES\FUNCTIONS:

'SYSTEM_OBJECT' sample is located there... but, there is no reason for that, since it is about system object, not HMG functions.

My proposed fix is the following:

- Create a new folder (\samples\Sql) and move there all the samples mentioned above.

- Create a new folder (\Samples\Misc) and move there the 'SYSTEM_OBJECT' sample.

There is a lot of other problems with samples organization, that I'll try to address in future posts (as my available time makes that possible).

As in the documentation problem referred in my previous post, this wrong organization can create trouble for new users trying to learn about HMG.
Regards/Saludos,

Roberto

(Veritas Filia Temporis)
srvet_claudio

Re: Problems with samples...

Post by srvet_claudio »

It's ok for me.
Rathi this issue is for you, please rearrange the samples.
Best regards.
Dr. Claudio Soto
(from Uruguay)
http://srvet.blogspot.com
Rathinagiri
DBs Used: MariaDB, SQLite, SQLCipher and MySQL

Post by Rathinagiri »

Wonderful and meaningful suggestions Roberto. Sure I will do.
East or West HMG is the Best.
South or North HMG is worth.
...the possibilities are endless.
Anand
DBs Used: DBF

Post by Anand »

I am beginner for HMG, in the sense and learnt a lot from the samples. I never actually found problem with the folder naming. I search for text in prgs in all folders, if I am looking for something, Google habit :)

Still I will have a look at them and report any suggestion.

Regards,

Anand
Regards,

Anand

esgici

Post by esgici »

Anand wrote:I never actually found problem with the folder naming. I search for text in prgs in all folders, if I am looking for something, Google habit :)
Is this a good habit :?

IMO "structured" programming, thinking and working is always better.

Regards
Viva INTERNATIONAL HMG :D
Anand

Post by Anand »

esgici wrote:
Anand wrote:I never actually found problem with the folder naming. I search for text in prgs in all folders, if I am looking for something, Google habit :)
Is this a good habit :?

IMO "structured" programming, thinking and working is always better.

Regards
Not a good habit. Agree with "structured" way.

But, time constraint makes me dump my development and download for different project is a simple named folders and then "search in files" is the only way I get the logic I am looking for.

Try to understand my position. I develop in Xbase++ (including Fast Report, TopDown and SeeXb), Harbour (both HMG and MiniGUI), AutoIt, AutoHotkey, Visual FoxPro, even Clipper (yes) and also Android (B4A). Why so many ? I try to solve a client's problem with the tool I think will work best. Many a time I recreate logic of say V.FoxPro in Xbase++ and vice versa.

I do not advocate of HMG samples to be scattered. They should be in a proper structured manner. Most of the programmers who will go through them need a proper way to visualise it. It is just that I have the habit of executing search tools. Even I posted msg when I could not execute search in HMG doc :)

Regards,

Anand
Regards,

Anand